How I got here…
My name is Joshua Shea and I am a father of two great kids and husband to a wonderful wife and a menagerie of cats and dogs. We live in Central Maine, where I was born and raised.
Today, I work as an author and speaker/presenter sharing my story and educating about addiction. My books about addiction can be found on the home page. I believe if we can begin to talk more about porn addiction and mental health, others may be able to address their addictions before they devolve to the unhealthy and criminal places where mine hit rock bottom.
This has not always been my story. For years, on the outside, people saw me as a successful magazine publisher, film festival founder and city councilor. I hid my mental health issues, pornography and alcohol addictions from the world. The end came in 2013 when I engaged a teen girl in an online chatroom, for which I later served six months in jail. That was the wake-up call I needed and thankfully my Higher Power gave me the strength to fix a very broken person.
Like most in recovery, I probably understand the issues better than the non-addict, but please don’t misinterpret my stories, experiences, thoughts and opinions as any definitive answers. Do I consider myself a pornography addiction expert? At this point, yes. Unfortunately, it’s not hard to be a pornography addiction expert these days. I believe what makes me a porn addiction expert is that I have so much third-hand knowledge from research and meeting so many porn addicts, but I also have my personal experiences.
You may contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pornography Addict for 25 years; Alcohol Addict for 21 years
- In Recovery and Relapse-Free since March 2014
- Alcohol Rehabilitation at Spencer Recovery Center, Palm Springs, Calif., March-June 2014 (including internship and group facilitation)
- Sex/Porn Addiction Rehabilitation at Sante Center for Healing, Argyle, Texas, May-July 2015
- Author, The Addiction Nobody Will Talk About: How I Let My Pornography Addiction Hurt People and Destroy Relationships
- Co-Author, He’s a Porn Addict…Now What? An Expert and a Former Addict Answer Your Questions
- Contributor of Sex/Porn Addiction Recovery Articles for TheFix.com and Recovery Today magazine
- Public Speaker on the Subject of Pornography Addiction
- Certified Life Coach through KEW Training Academy – Accredited by CTAA